Southern Inspired : More Than 100 Delicious Dishes from My American Table to Yours
After growing up in Mississippi, Jernard Wells brought the familiar dishes and bold flavors of the South along on his culinary journey to chef, restaurateur, and TV host. With Southern Inspired, Jernard continues his journey—retracing the steps of generations of African American cooks whose creations contributed to global kitchen tables since slavery. Southern food defines American food at large, and Jernard takes it to a whole new level while still honoring its roots. Jernard also brings in flavors from the Caribbean, Latin America, Asia, and Europe, always with his signature Southern flair.
This cookbook shares 100 recipes that are approachable for both beginners and more experienced cooks. You’ll find dishes for busy weekdays, backyard barbecues, slow-paced dinner parties, indulgent brunches, and holiday feasts, including:
• Blackened Catfish with Smoked Gouda Grits
• Southern Sweet Tea–Brined Fried Chicken
• Creamy Collard Green Dip and Crostini
• Over-the-Top Lime BBQ Shrimp Tacos
• One-Pot Caribbean Vegetable Noodles
• Fried Green Tomatillos
• Chicken Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
• Georgia Peach Hot Chicken Sandwich
• Cranberry-Whiskey Glazed Pork Ribs
• Granny Gwen’s Banana Pudding
• Mason Jar Raspberry Chocolate Trifles
Accompanied by beautiful color photography, Southern Inspired showcases Jernard’s American food: fresh, personal recipes packed with traditions and heartwarming family stories from an African American chef's perspective.